Sunday, June 30, 2013

when heading to an interview...LEAVE EARLY!

I recently had an interview where everything in the book  that could go wrong, went wrong. The disasters happened one after another:

  1. I hit traffic.
  2. Once I got to the BART station, I parked in the zone that requires a permit before 10 a.m. Luckily I thought to check the time and realized it was only 9:30. Crisis averted!
  3. The rest of the parking lots were full, so I had to find street parking. 
  4. Missed the direct line to the city. I don't have a problem transferring, but it is nice to be able to take an uninterrupted 30 minute nap if I catch a train that goes directly to my destination.
  5. Got off on the wrong stop. Luckily, it was only one stop too early and I realized this before leaving the station, so I was quickly able to go back and catch the next train.
  6. Went to the wrong building. I'd gone with some friends to the Berkeley campus as a trial run, but lo and behold, there were TWO locations with the same name. Guess which one I went to?

 Luckily, the only redeeming factor was that I left early. This may seem like a no-brainer, but I can't stress this enough- when going to an interview, do everything in your power to LEAVE EARLIER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO- whether it's making sure you have your clothes picked out the night before (the one thing I didn't do), setting two alarms, skipping your morning Facebook check, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment